Goals: Students test each other’s spelling
Preparation: Scrap of paper each, poker chips, vocab list
- Students write some new words on a piece of paper.
- They then mingle with each other using the phrase “I bet you can’t spell___” and say a word from their vocab list.
- If the student spells the word correctly within 15 seconds or so, the questioning student must hand over a poker chip.
- If they are incorrect, the answering student must hand over a poker chip. After they have both asked their questions, they find a different partner.
- Instead of allowing students to only bet one chip, you can let them negotiate the number of chips they bet.
- Allow students to work in small teams, so that they can both create vocal lists and answer questions together.