Overview: Students practise counting potatoes until the music stops. Person on top is out. This is a quick and fun activity for practicing numbers and making plural words.
- Put the students into groups of around 5-8 and they stand in a circle.
- Start the music and the first student will put their fist out and say “one potato”.
- The next student puts their fist on top and says “two potatoes” and so on.
- When you stop the music, the students who have their fist on the top are out.
- Start the game again until you only have one student left.
- You can get them to say a longer phrases, such as “I went to the supermarket and bought one potato.”
- The students that are out from each team can form a group, so they have something to do.
- Once the groups are down to 1-2 students, you can bring them together to find the class potato champion.
If you find this useful and want to get your hands on 51 handy activities, compete with pictures that you can bring with you to class, do consider checking out the Take it East Teaching Book available on Amazon and as an eBook.